Wednesday, September 9, 2009

postheadericon My dreams of a doorman...

When I was young I did not have the a-typical view of what my life would be like when I grew up. My sister would describe a beautiful house, family, flowers, a perfect yard, and then go into great detail about what her home would look like inside and out.  Sometimes the color combinations were questionable at best, but we were young and my sister's image of her ideal home matured as she did.  I on the other hand had a much different vision. Sure, I dreamed of my home having flowers, green grass, and being beautiful inside and out...but my flowers were being tended to by the grounds keeper, the green grass was at the local park, and the beauty inside and out was from the building staff polishing the floors and walls until it sparkled.  At my front door was a doorman. He had a sharp, crisp suit and a smile to greet me. This is what I had always visioned.

Yes, my dream home was a high-rise, smack dab in the middle of a large city. I could almost feel the hustle and bustle of this city in my day dreams. What I didn't understand then, but do now, is what the draw was....and I'll tell you, it's the vibe. I love the way a big city feels, the way it moves. Each neighborhood has it own story to tell, and the people...oh, the people.

I'm lucky enough to live with my family in the San Francisco area. A big city different from all others, and one of the most naturally beautiful areas on the West Coast. Sure, every big city has it's ugly side, and let's not forget the traffic. I spent the day up in the Sacramento area for work, and what should have been a 2 hr commute home was almost 4 hours. My dear mom worries about how much time I spend in my car and is baffled as to how I could enjoy spending at times up to 7-8 hrs alone just driving. The answer is two fold.
1 - I enjoy being out and meeting new people, and I find the drive relaxing (yes, even in traffic)
2 - It's the view. It's beautiful in every direction.  (okay, so that was more like 2 1/2)

When I drove over the Bay Bridge today, the sun was shining over San Francisco. Just beyond the tall buildings was the thick marine layer moving in. The Golden Gate Bridge had already been engulfed and it was only a matter of time until the thick blanket would cover the entire city. Couple that with sailboats out on the glistening bay, and the sun starting to set, forming a colorful backdrop to the skyline. We do not have a doorman, but when I see that, I know I'm heading home.

1 comments:

Dawn said...

lol...It's sooo true!!!!! You always wanted that doorman!! Every time you move I ask you if you have one yet. hehe ;)
Love the picture!! It's beautiful!!

About Me

My Photo
Ang
I'm a fan of things that are tangibly funny. Meaning, is it real...could it, or did it really happen. It's the reality of life and the connection to a moment that can bring on a type of unforgettable laughter.
View my complete profile

Site Counter

hit counter
Powered by real time web analytics software.

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed